Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Seasonal Knitting

This year has been a rollercoaster, if nothing else. New friends brought new adventures. I had a chance to reevaluate a lot of things during my recovery, and I'm so ready to take on another year. Right now, I'm home for a week before heading off to my summer internship. I'll be working in Washington DC for the Children's Defense Fund (CDF), which is an incredible organization advocating for children's rights. Look out for my posts about my experiences, as well as how it's shaping my opinions, this summer. That, of course, and my knitting. 

Summer seems like an odd time to knit, don't you think? When we think of "knitting," we think of scarves, and blankets, and curling up at the fireplace with a cup of cocoa. We can't imagine knitting when it's warm out. I used to be one of those seasonal knitters, but not anymore. Pictured below is one of my favorite summer pieces: summer shawls. This particular shawl was knit from one corner, increasing to center and then decreasing back to the other end. I especially love the yarn color, called "Denim Mist." If you look at the piece up close (the lower center image) you can see the different colors woven through, ranging from a blue so pale it's nearly white, and one that's so dark it's just about navy. Looking from further away, though, reveals the beautiful texture that these colors create when combined. 


The photographs above are from last summer. Pictured is the lovely Lori, one of my wonderful dancing friends who came out on a summer afternoon, walked around the block with me, and trekked through the field. While wearing high heels. Kathryn, another friend from my studio, also came out and took the beautiful photographs you see in this image. Lori is also an accomplished photographer, whose work can be seen HERE. Many thanks to both of them for joining me for this summer afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment