Friday, August 9, 2013

Summer's End

It has been an incredible 12 weeks at the Children's Defense Fund, and I am amazingly grateful for the opportunities I've had this summer. I've traveled to conferences, met other young advocates, explored the wonderful city of Washington DC, spent time with a fantastic group of interns, learned to crochet, and more. But, as with all great things, it must come to an end.

As I get ready to pack up and head back to Rochester, I've been trying to figure out how to balance all the different things I want to do. On top of classes, dancing with BPG, services at Hillel, singing with Roc Hakol, knitting/crocheting, and learning to be an RA, I'll be preparing for my sister's wedding! At the same time, I'm currently keeping up my work on social media for The Truth 365, transitioning to watch over the new volunteers we're recruiting instead of doing it all on my own. It's going to be a busy semester, to say the least.

One thing I'm getting ready to restart is my keychain fundraiser for The Truth 365. September will be National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, and we will see the first anniversary of Monique Williams' death, as well as mark what should have been Hanna Monte's 23rd birthday. At some point, you have to ask: when does it stop? When will we say, we've had enough? And then, once we've said it, when will we start working to make it better?

Photograph from Natalie's facebook page

Natalie Grace, a 3-year-old warrior, and her amazing mother have had enough for quite some time. They're tired of Natalie's treatments poisoning her body to try and get the cancer out, and they're sick of knowing that they're the lucky ones. When Natalie was diagnosed, the doctors knew that they could cure her. They knew that she would be ok. It has been nearly a year since little Natalie's diagnosis, she's officially in the maintenance phase of her treatment, and the light has appeared at the end of the tunnel. But in that year, how many other kids have met a different fate? Monique Williams wasn't one of the lucky ones, and 7 kids follow her footsteps every day in the US alone.

It's time to start working to make it better.


For just a $5 donation to Natalie's "send me a dollar" fundraiser, I will send you a keychain in the color & shape of your choosing. All you have to do is send her a donation, and then send a message to my Facebook page that includes either a picture of your card + donation if you send it in the mail, or a screenshot of your donation online. That'll be your chance to let me know what color & shape keychain you would like as well. In addition to hearts and bows (pictured here) I have previously made owls and flowers, and I am always interested in learning new patterns - peace signs, letters, animals, other symbols, you name it and I'll find a way to make it.

Will you help me be a part of Natalie's 4th birthday?

No comments:

Post a Comment