Sunday, April 27, 2014

Spring Break Part 1: Cannes, France

I had initially thought about writing one massive blog post for my spring break, but I have far too much to write in each one for that, so I've decided to separate the different cities. The result will be 5 shorter blog posts instead of one exceptionally long one.

The first part of my spring break brought me to Cannes, France. I arrived at my hotel late Friday evening, where I checked in and grabbed a bite to eat before settling in for the night. The next morning, I set out for the Hotel Martinez, where my sister Stephanie and her husband Jeff were staying.

To say the Hotel Martinez was a step up from the places I stayed during my break would be an understatement (perks of being on a college student's budget). The hotel, which sits along the beautiful Cannes boardwalk, caters to the stars during the famous Cannes Film Festival. I entered the ornate lobby and rode the elevator up to the seventh floor (which Jeff liked to refer to as the penthouse, as it was the top floor of the building).

We went down to breakfast together, indulging in the hot and cold buffet. We then decided to take a walk along the boardwalk toward the harbor. I relished the warmth of the day, which contrasted starkly to the rain we had endured in England leading up to my departure. We strode casually from the harbor through a local craft market before walking along the streets just inland. There, we found a bakery selling fresh macaroons and picked up a box to have as a snack later in the day. We found a cafe and sat down for lunch before doing a bit of shopping for the early afternoon.

In the middle of the afternoon, we returned to their hotel and opened the macaroons on their rooftop terrace. I have to say, the view from the terrace was magnificent. Definitely something to which I could have grown accustomed. After a short period on the terrace, we returned to the lobby for happy hour and then walked back along the boardwalk to find something to eat for dinner. I was sad to say good night at the end of the evening, but took comfort in the knowledge that while their trip was coming to an end, mine was only beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment