Monday, February 3, 2014

Arrival

I'm here! All settled in to my new flat in Bath, England! And what an adventure it was. Many thanks to the kind people who held doors, lifted my luggage, and pointed me in the right direction along my journey.

My flatmates and I are finding ways to keep ourselves awake until around 9 PM tonight before we crash. I refuse to even change into my pajamas until it's bedtime, because I know I'll never make it if I do. It's 8:15 right now, so I only have about 45 more minutes.

I'm writing this from my bedroom, which overlooks the river and the street. The room is fairly large, with more than enough space for my roommate and I to be comfortable. There's a guitar randomly sitting on my new desk. It was in the other bedroom when we arrived, but since I'm the only one who plays, it has become mine for the semester. Our flat has a kitchen large enough for two people to work comfortably, plus a separate dining/study area. None of us are exceptional cooks, but we're definitely good enough to make sure everyone is properly fed this semester. The four residents of my flat share 2 full bathrooms, which hopefully will make mornings a little easier on us all. Even better, our bathrooms were just renovated last summer, so everything is in really good conditions.

In addition to my flatmates, I met our other house mates today. There's only one girl moved in upstairs so far out of the three living in the flat, so she hung out with us for part of the afternoon. We all met the 3 girls on the ground floor and the 4 living directly below us when we had a house meeting today to go over rules and all that fun stuff. After the meeting, my flatmates and I decided to go grab a bite to eat, since we only really had snack foods in the flat. We wandered around for a bit and discovered this cute little Korean Bistro, which was pretty good. We were going to grab dessert at one of the many pastry shops or cafes we had seen along our route, but they were all closed by the time we finished eating just after 6.

I did more reading on my journey than knitting, which meant that I finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I immediately started Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock, which I'll likely finish within the week. I have a bit of yarn with me, so maybe I'll try some new cozy patterns in the coming weeks.

Anyway, it's almost time for me to be off to bed! Tomorrow starts orientation!

No comments:

Post a Comment