Friday, May 23, 2014

"Those Trees are Holding Hands"

On top of all the big adventures I've had this semester, I also got to go on a few "mini-adventures" after Spring Break that never made it into blog posts.

Just days after I got back, Rachel and I took the train to Bristol for a Passover Seder. We spent much of the ride getting to know each other, as we hadn't spent much time together during the program. We stepped off the train and split a cab to the synagogue. We arrived just a few minutes early. We found a pair of seats at an unoccupied table, where we were soon joined by a mother and her 9-year-old son; she was originally from Washington DC and recognized our accents. A gentleman in orthodox dress sat at the head of the table, followed by another gentleman. Just as the seder was about to begin, a young man about the same age as Rachel and I took the last open seat at the table. We followed along with the seder, eagerly awaiting dinner, during which Rachel and I talked mostly with James, who we learned was just a few years older than us. He offered to drive us back to the train station at the end of the night, which we gladly accepted.

I undertook my next mini-adventure with nearly a dozen other ASE students when Lindsay led us on a walk along part of the Bath Skyline. The whole route circles around the city, but we just walked on a short stretch of it. From Nelson House, our journey took us past the residences south of the city to a hill overlooking Bath. The title of this post comes from this night; as we walked up the hill, we tried to distract ourselves from the exhaustion we were feeling, and Katie mentioned it at one point when she looked across the street. For most of the rest of the evening, we wandered through quiet, empty fields. One of the highlights of the night was running into a pair of dogs and their owner. One of the dogs ran right through our group to the fence behind us, but the other stopped, knowing we would likely shower her with attention. She was, of course, correct. We paused the walk for a minute so that everyone could have a chance to play with the dog, who loved all of the friends she had suddenly made.

My next two mini adventures brought me into London to check off items of my "to-do" list. The day we returned from Stratford, Megan and I took the train in to see "Once" on the West End. I was particularly excited because Arthur Darvill, a former star of Doctor Who, was playing the male lead in the show. His final performance would be the following day, so we made it just in time. While we were there, we learned that the female lead, who had held the role for 3 years, would also take her final bows when Darvill did. Both leads were fantastic, and I was so glad I finally got to see a show in London! We ran into Chelsea at the train station, who had been in London with Emily for a concert that evening, and rode back to Bath with her.

The following morning, I hopped back on the train to London to meet up with Ambar. We realized as we talked that we hadn't actually seen each other in just over 3 years, which meant that we certainly had plenty to catch up on. Although we had initially planned to spend just 2 or 3 hours together, the afternoon ended up lasting for over 5! I was so glad to get to see her after all this time, and we found we were able to pick up our friendship right where we had left it off. Our new rule has become that we need to see each other anytime we're in the same country :)

The last item on my tourist to-do list was to see the Roman Baths, which I finally did during finals week. Jasmyne, Amy and I met at Nelson house to grab a bite to eat at the Thai restaurant across the street, and then we walked to the Baths exhibit. We spent about an hour in the museum section, and then we took advantage of a free tour around the actual Baths. At the end, we tried a sip of the water (which was warm and tasted funny) before heading out.

That's it for the mini-adventures! I'm heading home tomorrow, but be on the lookout for two more blog posts for the semester in the coming days. Until then, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment