Wednesday, May 21, 2014

St. Andrew's Visit 10: The Teacher's Role

Focus: The Teacher's Role

It's hard to believe this is my final journal for St. Andrews. 10 visits have absolutely flown by, and as I entered the school for the final time, I knew it would be a tough goodbye.

I arrived in the morning to find that Mr. Barry had a few tasks for me to complete before the students arrived for the day. He hoped that the busy work of photocopying letters and sharpening pencils could be done before the day even began, so I set about preparing the materials he asked for. When the students did arrive, they brought frantic questions; "Are you leaving today? Is today your last day? Why are you leaving?" I was touched by their concern, and when I confirmed that yes, this would be my final visit, they were quite subdued. The excitement of the moment gone, they sat on the carpet to learn about the physical aspects of the painting that they had been studying as part of the Take One Picture program. They then incorporated this information into a short paragraph (about 3 sentences) to be part of longer reports on all they had learned about the painting chosen this year, including its history, style, painter, and religious significance.

During guided and independent reading, Mr. Barry asked me to prepare the materials for a display board on the sunflower challenge he is coordinating. For the challenge, 4 participants from each of the school's tree-based houses (1 student each from years 3 through 6) have devised strategies for growing sunflowers outside the school. The sunflowers will be measured every 2 weeks from now to the end of the school year.

After a break, the students prepared for maths. They have an assessment coming up, so for the first time, I got to see them in the mode of preparing. They grumbled and complained as Mr. Barry drilled one question after another, pushing them in the hopes that they will recognize the  questions when the assessment comes. R refused to participate altogether, and he stormed out of the room when Mr. Barry attempted to confiscate the book he had decided to read instead.

My skills in interacting with R were tested at this point, as Ms. Bryant asked me to sit with him in the hall after she had no luck. When I entered, my first task was to convince him to decide to come down from an apparatus he had climbed. My second was to ensure that he didn't climb back up. I breathed a sigh of relief when he finally settled on a spot on the floor, and when Ms. Bryant returned, she praised his choice as well as congratulating me on a job well done. Though he still refused to return to class for the end of maths (by this point he had missed nearly the whole lesson) he did eventually decide to join Ms. Bryant in the library, which was a good idea since the Key Stage 1 students would be arriving for lunch any minute.

During lunch, Mr. Barry expressed his frustrations regarding R, whose behavior has become increasingly difficult lately. Although he no longer assaults his peers when he becomes frustrated, he has learned that if he does not want to comply, he can generally leave the classroom, and the school has little power to stop him. Mr. Barry described feeling like a babysitter, especially since most days R does not complete any academic work or even attempt to join the class.

After lunch, the students changed into their PE kits for my lesson on isolations. They had a bit of a scare when Andrew Butterworth, who had arrived to observe my work with them, was introduced as a representative from a "school for naughty children," described as being "like prison, but a bit worse." J in particular became fixated on the idea, only letting it go when Mr. Barry revealed that it was just a joke.  The lesson had its ups and downs, featuring a few moments of near chaos alongside moments of perfect peace. The machine game, which has always been a favorite of mine, proved to be a success among the students as well. After the lesson, I brought them back into the classroom.

Back in their uniforms, the class presented me with a card and a gift to thank me for being there this semester. A cluster ran up to give me a giant group hug. I answered a few questions that they still had about me, and then we released them for a few minutes of extra playtime. They ended up having even more time than anticipated when the day's assembly was cancelled. RJ and M convinced me to skip rope for a few minutes with them, and I laughed as they sang the "Teddy Bear" tune I had skipped to when I was their age. I left them to detangle M, who had gotten tangled in the rope ladder on the playground. Mr. Barry commented that there's no one quite like her, with which I concurred. We talked a bit about the character of the class, filled with its diverse students, before discussing a bit about my hopes for the future.

I shared a few of my observations about the teachers here, such as the larger role they play with their students. Though I would only be expected to teach the academics in a school in the states, teachers in primary schools in the UK also play the roles of art, music, PE and ICT instructors. In a school as small as St. Andrew's, they also take turns looking after the students during the midmorning break. One of the secretaries double as the nurse, and the other serves students during lunch.

As I dismissed the students at the end of the day, many of them expressed their sadness to see me go. For the first time since I have started working with students, I realized, I would not be seeing my students again, and I wished them all the best of luck moving forward. I thanked Mr. Barry for the invaluable experience and for his encouragement all semester, and he saw me out. In the blink of an eye, my day - and my experience - came to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment